Monday, February 15, 2016

'Tis So Sweet

THE PROBLEM
You're a senior in high school and it's already almost March. You have no idea what you're doing with the rest of your life. You don't even know where you'll be at school next year, you haven't even had a boyfriend yet, you overthink literally everything, you take naps when you should be doing something productive, you won't ever have enough money to pay for college, you know that scholarships just aren't going to come through, you have to put up with everyone telling you to do different things, you watch all your friends get accepted to their dream schools, and you watch all of them fall in love and actually celebrate Valentine's Day while you sit in your room finding the derivative of an absolute value function.

THE (temporary) PEACE
Movies, music, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Pinterest, ice cream, friends, family, TV, shopping, money, magazines, books, art, guitar, exercise, texting, knitting, etc. etc. etc.

THE (everlasting) PEACE
Movies, music, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Pinterest, ice cream, friends, family, TV, shopping, money, magazines, books, art, guitar, exercise, texting, knitting, etc. etc. etc.

Jesus.

When I start to worry, the first place my mind goes to is not always Jesus. Why would it be, anyway? He's not really going to come through anyway... how can He help me when He's not here to actually apply for scholarships for me and write that essay that I've been holding off for a couple weeks now?

Well I don't know about you, but that'd be pretty cool if Jesus could do all of those things for me. He'd REALLY be my Savior then. I feel like I'm in this all alone, trying to figure out this whole life deal all by myself. Maybe I should just forget about this whole Jesus thing. I'd rather listen to music or go shopping, trusting in God is too hard. I mean, I believe in Him, but I don't actually believe in Him...

Have you ever felt like this? I feel like as Christians we have a tendency to over-complicate things that are, in reality, quite simple. Why the heck do we do this? It just gives us more unneeded stress. I could really draw out this blog post, but I don't feel like I need to because the idea that I'm trying to get across is so simple.

Trust in Jesus.

There's no point in trusting temporary things because they will go. Everything will go. Everything will disappoint you, except the God who created your life, the same God that has a plan for your life if You just trust in Him.

So I dare you to stop looking for temporary peace, and start seeking the God that will provide you with everlasting peace. You may be thinking that this is such a weird idea...trusting in something that you can't see, hear, feel, touch, etc.

It is.

That's why most people just don't even give Him a chance, because the idea of a God who loves YOU - a small raindrop in this ocean of people, a speck of dust in a mansion full of beautiful things - is so extremely abstract and not even understandable.

But it's the most beautiful thing you can ever do- to put your trust in something rare and beautiful and foreign in this superficial culture we are surrounded by each and every day.

And I'll leave it at that. Peace 'n blessins.

No comments:

Post a Comment